Monday, April 23, 2012

Just wanted to share....

On February 23, 2012, a student of mine was diagnosed with leukemia. He is only 16 years old. He has had several intensive rounds of chemotherapy to reduce cancer cells in his body. After a short, grueling journey, he found out last week he is now able to be labeled as "in remission." I never realized what that word really meant until following this boy's personal journey. Remission doesn't mean "safe." It simply means the previous treatments have worked well enough to reduce the cancer cells to a certain number. He still has to undergo another round of treatment.....57 days of different drugs at different intervals. There is a possibility of looking at a bone marrow transplant, but the doctors are still deciding on that.
I am amazed at this young man's strength, determination to overcome this disease, and continued positive outlook on life. He has truly inspired me in so many ways. He is so young, yet more wise than most adults. When he recently found out about his remission, this is what he wrote......

"This news was very frustrating for me and I wasn't sure I could keep going, I really just wanted the treatment to end or at least have a break from toxic medications and shots. But, then I remembered climbing the stairwell at my school before I had been diagnosed. I had figured out a strategy to get up to the top, because the first few times when I reached the middle of the stairwell I would stop and look up; and think "I can't make it". Of course I would make it... eventually, rendering me late to Geometry. But, then I had an idea, I wouldn't even look up, I would focus on the steps as I made them, and before I knew it, I was at the top, then it was just a matter of making it to Geometry on time.
This reminded me that I could use the same strategy to make it to the end of treatment, and it's like I say, "It's a psychological thing"."

I've attached a link to a website the family has created due to the overwhelming costs of the treatments and visits to the specialists. I simply wanted to share it; whether you feel compelled to donate or simply keep this family in your daily prayers....I know they appreciate it all.
 
http://www.gofundme.com/CureKadensCancer

No comments: