
This past weekend I volunteered at a camp. I've been volunteering for the past four years now. It's a camp specifically for children with Down Syndrome. There are a wide range of needs from camper to camper. Some are non-verbal while others are full of animation! Each child has a distinct and unique personality that adds to the group!
The camp is from a Thursday to a Sunday in August each year. Camp Horizon uses a YMCA camp facility located in Boomer, NC, which is on the way to the mountains. Each camper is assigned to one counselor. My college roommate,
Stacy and I have participated since it was started (minus one year). Chastity, our other roommate, started coming last year. It's one of the most rewarding things I do (and tiring too!).The camp has so many activities planned for the kids. We have swimming, a HUGE water slide, fishing, canoeing, archery, a girl party, talent show, and a yearly camp dance! The camp is so spread out that they rent tractors to go from each activity. They are most definately a hit! I must say, the camp dance is my favorite. It's a big deal to the kids as well. Each year there is a different theme to the dance. This year was Mardi Gras. They go all out with the decorations
too! We even had a professional photographer to take pictures of each camper and counselor. Of course, we had a 'girl party' before the dance to make sure we all looked beautiful. The girls did my hair and nails. I must say....that's the best I've looked in awhile!Every year I leave camp feeling refreshed and full of life. These kids give me so much more than they could ever imagine. I feel so blessed to be a small part in their amazing and exciting lives. I'm reminded of how insignificant a long grocery line is yet how important it is to see a smile simply from side walk chalk. My camper was definately on her own schedule this year. Transitioning was
hard and even impossible at times. Today, instead of bobbing for apples and playing games at the carnival, she and I wrote on the side walk with chalk. She wanted no part of the carnival. The drawing pictures of her and her 'mamma' truly made her heart smile. In that moment, that was all that mattered.I honestly wish every one could experience this. Camp Horizon is truly an amazing place!
Here are some pictures from a FABULOUS weekend!








No comments:
Post a Comment